Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 11:00 to Sunday, 29 May, 2016 - 19:00
MAY 28, Brussels
11:00 - 14:30
Meeting (on invitation only): How to build a common strategy and agenda on Community-led Habitat across Europe?
14:30 - 19:00
Field visits to local experiences in Brussels
MAY 29 Louvain-la-Neuve
The Seventh Habitat Groupé Fair took place on the 29th of May. The fair is an occasion for interested individuals, families and inhabitant groups to meet professionals from the field of Community-led and participatory housing: lawyers, architects, project representatives, legal experts, experts who have implemented intergenerational projects or initiatives with the elderly, consultants in the field of self-help construction, entrepreneurs in eco-construction, authors, thinkers, academia, etc. .... A project fair and an exhibition on participatory housing projects in Belgium allowed for interested people to join or launch a participatory housing project.
Four Community-led housing projects from Spain, UK, Germany and Switzerland presented their experiences at the occasion of a public conference and received the European Community-led Housing Award:
La Borda, Barcelona, Spain
The Housing Cooperative “La Borda” originated from an activist movement in “Sants”, a working-class neighbourhood in Barcelona. La Borda seeks to integrate housing with the social economy and the Care economy, and to encourage new models of living in community. It constitutes at the same time the first experience of collective property in the city of Barcelona.
To learn more, visit the Digital social platform: La Borda
Granby4Streets CLT, Liverpool, United Kingdom
In the context of poverty, social exclusion and top-down approaches towards urban renewal, the inhabitants of Toxteth in Liverpool created the Granby4Streets Community Land Trust to defend their interests. Granby4Streets CLT has successfully managed to negotiate with public actors and social investors to implement participatory urban upgrading and social projects at the benefit of more than 2,000 residents.
To learn more, visit the Digital social platform: Granby4Streets CLT
Spreefeld, Berlin, Germany
The Building and Housing Cooperative “Spreefeld” is situated in the former ‘no man’s land’ between Eastern and Western Germany. Founded in 2011 and inhabited since 2014, it is a succesful example of local resistance to speculative, top-down and large scale area development, and has managed to provide affordable homes and public and semi-public spaces.
To learn more, visit the Digital social platform: Spreefeld
Mehr als Wohnen, Zurich, Switzerland
Mehr als Wohnen is a federation of 60 housing cooperatives that planned, financed and managed the construction of an entire neighbourhood, home to 1,100 residents and 150 jobs in the City of Zurich. The scale (cooperative neighbourhood), energy-efficient buildings, social diversity and the predominance of common spaces are but some examples of the innovation at the core of this project.
To learn more, visit the Digital social platform: Mehr als Wohnen
A number of workshops will also be organised on the following topics: legal framework, methodologies for creating a participatory housing project, the development of an intergenerational dynamics, international experiences, etc.
- 10:00 - Opening of experts' booths and Project Fair
- 10:30 - 1st Conference
- 11:00 - Opening of the buffet
- 12:00 - 2nd Conference: HUB Europe 2016 - Presentation of 4 exemplary community-led housing projects from Europe and Award ceremony.
- 13:30 – Workshops
- 15:00 - Workshops
- 16:00 - Closing of experts' booths and Project Fair
- 16:00 - 3rd Conference
- 17:00 - Social Event
- Habitat et Participation ASBL: founded in 1982, the organisation promotes participatory processes and is a recognised resource centre for Community-led Housing projects since 2006
- Ad hoc: – Pierluigi Mormino
- Architecture et Nature (Hubert SAUVAGE): Cooperative of architects ScivCRL
- Banque Triodos: Social and Solidarity Bank
- DGO4 Aménagement du territoire (Urbanisme): Cédric Harmant
- Ecowez: auto-éco-rénovation – Guillaume Grawez
- Habitat en Mouvement: voyage à la rencontre de l’habitat populaire en Amérique du Sud – Pierre Arnold
- Habitat Groupé: Didier Vanrillaer
- NewB: Cooperative bank
- Pail-Tech: Passivhaus construction and circular economy
- Urbani: eco-responsible rental homes
For more information:
- Mehr als Wohnen: project presentation
- La Borda: project presentation
- Spreefeld: project presentation
- Granby4Streets CLT: project presentation